In fact, most of the times a person's general intelligence by itself does not guarantee success unless it is combined with high levels of emotional intelligence.
What is emotional intelligence?
Emotional intelligence is both a personality trait and a mental ability, which people inherit from their parents genetically and evolve-develop throughout their lifetime.
Emotional intelligence determines the degree to which a person:
- Easily adjusts to environment,
- Understands other people's emotions and motives,
- Is able to control his or her own feelings,
- May work under pressure,
- Doesn't give up when he/she encounters difficulties,
- May cooperate with others for the achievement of a common goal,
- Is able to inspire and lead,
- Is highly motivated,
- Has the ability to prioritize his/her goals and needs,
- Can fixate,
- Avoid mistakes,
- Is conscientious,
- Is capable of resolving conflicts,
- Is optimistic,
- Is capable to communicate effectively and socialize,
- Is persuasive.